Educational Upliftment Through NMMS Scholarship in Kerala
NMMS or National Means cum Merit Scholarship is a centre-funded program for students of state Board and Union Territory-affiliated schools. The program aims to provide financial incentive to 100000 students for meritorious performance. Students with parental income less than 150000 are eligible for this scholarship. Kerala Board shall have a fixed quota of scholarship which will be decided on the basis of enrolment of students in Class VII and class VIII as well as the population of students of concerned age group in the two classes. The scheme also provides reservation to different categories of Kerala Board students as per Kerala state norms.
Further information about the NMMS
- The scholarship is applicable quarterly for regular students in class IX, studying in government, local body and government-aided Kerala Board schools. The scholarships will be paid from class IX till class XII for the maximum period of four years.
- Kerala Board students receiving the scholarship would receive INR 6000p.a., i.e, 500 per month.
- Kerala Board conducts the examination of the first level for NMMS. This exam helps in the nomination of students for the second level exam that is conducted by NCERT, after which the scholarships are awarded to students.
Procedure of the first level of tests
The tests consist questions that examine mental ability and scholastic aptitude.
The Mental Ability Test is likely to consist MCQs, which test verbal and nonverbal meta-cognitive abilities like reasoning and critical thinking. Also, the questions will be based on analogy, classification, numerical series, pattern perception, hidden figures, etc.
The Scholastic Aptitude Test will include MCQs related to subjects like Kerala Board Class VII Science, CLass VII and VIII Social Studies and Kerala Board Mathematics.
The Basic Rules for Application
- Both the MAT and SAT should be cleared by a student with a minimum 40% to be eligible for the next level. The reserved category marks are lesser.
- Students should have scored a minimum of 55% marks or equivalent in their Class VIII examination.
- Student should not be employed elsewhere
- Student should have certified good conduct, without frequent leaves