Write short note on bloody sunday
1) During 1904, prices of staple food increased and wages of Russian workers decreased by 20 per cent.
2) Four members of the Assembly of Russian Workers who rebelled against this were dismissed at the Putilov Iron Works. As a result, more than one lakh workers started strike at St Petersburg demanding an increase in wages, reduction in their working hours and development in working conditions.
3) Social Democrats and Socialist Revolutionaries along with peasants and factory workers demanded a constitution during the revolution of 1905.
4) Many were killed and injured by the police in the demonstration of workers led by Father Gapon.
5) This event was known as bloody Sunday which resulted in chain of events called the 1905 Revolution.
Bloody Sunday was a massacre that took place on 22nd January 1905 in St Petersburg, wherein over 100 workers were killed and about 300 wounded when they took out a procession to present an appeal to Tsar. This procession was taken out to demand a reduction in the working day to eight hours, an increase in wages and an improvement in working conditions. This was done because the prices of essential goods rose so fast that real wages declined by 20%. It was named Bloody Sunday since it took place on Sunday.