what is active and passive voice?
In English grammar, voice of a verb describes the relationship between the action that the verb conveys and the direct object or the subject.
Now let us go through the concepts of active and passive voice:
A verb is in active voice when the subject used in the sentence is the main doer of the action taking place. Here, the action of the verb is linear or straightforward.
1. She was cooking rice;
2. The teacher was teaching the students of Grade-XI;
3. He lied to me;
4. They bought a huge house.
Now, in the same context, a verb is in passive voice when the subject becomes the recipient of the action involved. Here the verb acts upon the subject.
1. Rice was being cooked by her;
2. The students of Grade-XI were being taught by the teacher;
3. I was lied to by her;
4. A huge house was bought by them.
Hope the above explanation and instances help you understand the concept better.